10Best Readers’ Choice: Transportation Winners
July 22, 2016
Transportation and travel are tightly intertwined, and this month we’re celebrating all the ways we get from Point A to Point B. From classic automobiles and historic train cars to stunt planes and historic ships, these forms of transportation sometimes become attractions in their own right. USA TODAY 10Best enlisted the help of transportation enthusiasts to select 20 nominees in each of the categories of Best Air Show, Best Car Show, Best Train Ride, Best Transportation Museum and Best Museum Ship. For the past four weeks, our readers have been voting for their favorites, and the results are in.
Best Train Ride (http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-train-ride/): Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad. Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad ranks among the most authentic steam-operated railroads still in existence. Passengers aboard this National Historic Landmark travel along a track laid in 1880 between Chama, N.M. and Antonito, Colorado, passing through the San Juan Mountains and the scenic Conejos Valley, where it’s possible to spot antelope and deer.
10 Best Train Rides
- Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad—Between Chama, N.M. and Antonito, Colorado
- Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad—Between Durango and Silverton, Colorado
- Cass Scenic Railroad—Between Cass and Bald Knob, W.V.
- Napa Valley Wine Train—Between Napa and St. Helena, California
- White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad—Between Skagway, Alaska and Whitehorse, Yukon
- Great Smoky Mountain Railroad—Round trips from Bryson City, N.C.
- Mount Washington Cog Railway—To the top of Mount Washington, N.H.
- Western Maryland Scenic Railroad—Between Cumberland and Frostburg, Md.
- Grand Canyon Railway—Between Williams and Grand Canyon, Arizona
- Empire Builder—Between Chicago and Portland/Seattle